Infection Control Statement
This annual statement will be generated each year in May. It will summarise:
- Any infection transmission incidents and any actions taken (these will have been reported in accordance with our Significant Event procedure),
- Details of any infection control audits undertaken and actions undertaken,
- Details of any control risk assessments undertaken,
- Details of staff training,
- Any reviews and update of policies, procedures and guidelines.
Northgate Medical Practice has two clinical leads for Infection, Prevention and Control, a GP Partner and a Practice Nurse. It also has an Admin lead.
In the last year (01/04/19 – 31/03/20) there have been no significant events raised that related to infection control and prevention.
1. An audit on Minor Surgery Excision & Incision Procedures for the period 01/04/19 – 31/03/20.
The results are as follows:
- 140 procedures were carried out
- All were sent off for histology investigation. All results reported and actioned within expected timeframes.
- Of these 140 histology reports, 8 were reported as abnormal and all were followed and actioned within the appropriate timeframes. The remaining histology results were benign.
- There were 2 post-operative infections noted.
- There were no significant event reports for this service.
- Recorded evidence of signed patient consent is available on the patient record.
2. An Infection Prevention and Control Audit was completed by Jackie Coleman (Practice Nurse) and Sharon Harding (Clinical Services Manager) for all 3 sites. No major problems were noted.
Minor Issues Identified
- The temporary closures on sharps bins were not being used by all clinicians,
- Several sets of modesty curtains were out of date at time of audit, but changed once highlighted.
- Clinical waste storage areas were very full,
The inadequacies that were noted have been and continue to be addressed to ensure compliance. We will aim to do more to share information with our patients and will therefore place a copy of this Annual Statement on our Practice website
Cleaning, Hygiene and Infection Control
The Practice uses East Kent Commercial Cleaning Ltd (EKCC Ltd) who are responsible for the cleaning across our 3 sites.
We regularly check with EKCC Ltd that they are carrying out checks to ensure the standards of cleanliness and hygiene is maintained. Our staff also carry out visual checks to ensure that work areas are clean and we have introduced a monthly ‘walk round’ inspection with SEFM Ltd.’s Manager and Sharon Harding to ensure these are met and maintained.
All feedback from patients has indicated that our premises are clean and well maintained. For the period of this audit we have never received a complaint in relation to the cleanliness of our practice.
We carried out a knowledge test on our staff in relation to good handwashing techniques. We also circulate written instructions of the current recommendations for handwashing in healthcare in our Staff Newsletter.
Some minor gaps in knowledge were identified and we will liaise with staff to address this at the earliest opportunity.
Toys, books and magazines
These have been removed from our waiting rooms. Please bring quiet play items for your children to entertain them whilst they wait if so required.
Modesty curtains in treatments rooms are disposable and once opened are changed every 6 months, by either the Reception Supervisor or Nursing staff, or sooner if soiled or damaged.
Policies, Procedures and Guidelines
Policies relating to Infection Prevention and Control are reviewed and updated annually, and all are amended on an on-going basis as current advice, guidance and legislation changes require.
Clinical Services Manager
Northgate Medical Practice
Review Date: May 2021